The Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP) is a suite of 3 federal programs, established by Ministerial Instructions, effective March 6, 2017. The goal of this pilot project is to attract and retain skilled immigrants in Atlantic Canada by testing innovative approaches to permanent immigration.
The AIPP is in place until December 31, 2021.
Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island. Facilitating entry for these workers, under the International Mobility Program, supports the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act by encouraging the settlement and retention of workers in the Atlantic region.
Eligibility for a temporary work permit
Once the foreign nationals who receive a job offer from an employer from one of the Atlantic provinces, the referral letter will be issued once the province has
- Received the needs assessment and settlement plan as well as the job offer, provided by the employer
- Confirmed receipt of a commitment by the applicant to submit an eligible permanent residence application within 90 days from the submission of the work permit application
- Ensured that the documents are complete. an offer of employment number (LMIA exemption number)
- Proof of work experience, in support of the occupation sought and education
As of May 1, 2019, there are new work permit eligibility requirements. Applicants must submit language, education and work experience documentation according to the specific AIP program they are applying for.
Any work permit applications received from May 1, 2019, onwards will be assessed under the new eligibility criteria and must include the following:
Official Language Proficiency
The applicant must provide :
- A copy of the language test approved by IRCC that shows the applicant meets the minimum language level of 4 in the Canadian Language Benchmarks in English or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens in French for each of the 4 language skill areas, and
- IELTS 4 band required
- The test results must be less than 2 years old on the date of application